Friday 31 October 2008

London's Empty Homes

There was a really interesting program on the other night on ITV (29.10.08) "Ghost Town? London's Empty Homes" was a documentary on the fact there's around 55000 families registered homeless whilst 85000 homes lie empty and unused within the capital.

Anyone who's ever driven along the A406 North circular will have seen the rows of empty, boarded up, lifeless homes. London transport started purchasing these nearly 25 years ago now with plans for extra lanes. 25 years on there still boarded up and now lie in a desperate state of repair. Amongst these sorry sites there are still a few families living in their homes, homes that are like any other, looked after and cherished. All whilst the house next door looks like a war zone.... This has really sparked off some ideas that I want to follow up.

2 comments:

Mary Adam said...

I suppose the ones that London Transport bought would be down for demolition? I was surprised to see so many homeless people in London recently, oddly enough in the vicinity of the V&A.

Bruce Gill said...

Hi Mary, in theory, yes they are up for demolition. Though when that might be is any ones guess. It's been on the cards for 20 odd years. It's typical of all the red tape these days I guess. Well worth a watch if you can find it online!

I've been brought up in London and worked there all my working life until just recently. I think that's why it sparked sparked some ideas to be honest. Having moved to the countryside it really hits me now when I go to London...

I've just remembered a book "Hide That Can" by Deirdre O'Callaghan. It's a very true and open book containing some strong images of the homeless staying at Arlington House, a hostel in Camden, London. Have a look! http://www.deirdreocallaghan.co.uk/