Tuesday 10 March 2009

Square or not?

At the end of Project 6 cropping the same image in varying ways comes up. I try different crops for most shots, probably down to Graphic Design, but I find I may be relying on Photoshop rather than getting it bang on straight from the view finder. Problem is I love 6x6 format images, not sure why but they always stick out to me. Again with Graphic design I'm used to working with a square for a sleeve. I'm waiting on a new focusing screen for my SLR with a grid of 3rds so I'm hoping this will help me out... Here's an image I shot with a square format in mind. It works OK for the original un-cropped image but I like the symmetry the square formate creates on the sea view. For the waterfall, again, the symmetry works for me. One thing I wonder is if the rule of 3rds works the same with a square format?


Square


Original


Square


Original

Both waterfall shots {f22, 30 seconds, iso100} around midnight with a bloody great big light.

2 comments:

Mary Adam said...

I prefer the square in both, can't say why. The rule of thirds should work the same way, don't you think? And the golden mean would be worth a try too.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mary. The squares work really well. I love your midnight waterfall - very otherworldly. Emma