Tuesday 11 November 2008

TAoP Project 2

So for this project I've taken some close ups of a lolly pop stand.
I found this was the best subject to hand to show the depth of field.



All shots were f2.8, 1/60, 105mm, iso250. In sequence I focused on a row at the top, a row in the middle and a row at the bottom. This close up showed me the depth of field very clearly (I'd had problems using a wide angled lens on distant subjects). I decided to try a different crop and orientation to see how it looked...

I much preferred this image as it showed the depth of field before and after the lolly pop that was in focus. This seems to have a better impact on this particular shot, especial as you can almost read the logo. When you zoom in on the image (click on it now!) you can just make out a band of in-focus dots in the wrappers print. I really needed a slightly smaller aperture to allow for the whole face of the lolly pop to be in focus, at f2.8 it's far to small an area.

As I mentioned, I'd encountered problems showing an obvious depth of field whilst either using a wide lens or distant subjects. When I zoomed in or got closer the effects of a large/wide aperture was a lot more effective... More on this in Project 3.

I've also noticed my images are looking a little dull and de saturated once uploaded... I'll need to look in to this. I'm guessing it's my new Adobe CS4 that need calibrating.

No comments: